Designed for busy international education professionals and graduate students who want to develop the skills and strategies to serve and support an increasingly diverse student population for education abroad.
About the Course
Designed with education abroad practitioners in mind, this full length course covers seven areas that every education abroad professional must consider as they work with students - especially those from diverse and underrepresented populations - before, during, and after their education abroad experience. The ultimate goal of this course is to provide education abroad practitioners with the information and resources they need to develop an inclusive environment where all students are supported in their international endeavors.
Each section is broken into subsections that include an introduction, examples, key strategies, developing partnerships, a quiz or scenario, and a next steps and action planning. As participants complete each section, they will be asked to identify key takeaways and action items that they can implement in their day-to-day duties.
Those who complete the course will gain:
- A foundational understanding of diversity and inclusion good practices in education abroad;
- An increased awareness of biases that may influence interactions with different student populations;
- A toolbox of resources and information applicable to education abroad outreach, advising, and support;
- A learning community of other education abroad practitioners who are or have participated in this course; and,
- A personalized action strategy based on individual responses accumulated throughout the course.
This course is intended for those who may be
- Interested in a developing a better understanding for how to create a more inclusive education abroad environment;
- New to the field of education abroad;
- New to diversity and inclusion efforts in education abroad; and,
- Interested in refreshing their understanding diversity and inclusion in education abroad.
While this course covers core concepts related to diversity and inclusion in education abroad, the content is intended to support practitioners and educators at all levels of experience.
- Understand the history of diversity in education abroad
- Understand the importance of diversity and inclusion efforts in education abroad
- Better understand the terms and definitions used when discussing issues of diversity and inclusion
- Identify culturally sensitive methods for developing and implementing outreach efforts that include diverse and underrepresented students
- Identify strategies for reaching diverse and underrepresented student populations
- Strategize potential partners and stakeholders with whom you can collaborate to enhance your outreach strategy for diverse and underrepresented groups
- Identify ways to build trust with students from all backgrounds, especially with those from diverse and underrepresented backgrounds
- Understand how personal bias may influence advising
- Strategize potential partners and stakeholders with whom you can collaborate to improve advising strategies in your office/organization
- Understand how bias may be present in the application process to education abroad opportunities
- Strategize potential partners and stakeholders with whom you can collaborate to improve access to education abroad
- Identify ways to enhance pre-departure materials, resources, and events that include a wider range of student experiences and interests
- Strategize potential partners and stakeholders with whom you can collaborate to develop inclusive pre-departure programming
- Develop an understanding for different scenarios that students from diverse and underrepresented backgrounds may encounter in an international setting
- Develop strategies for working with on-the-ground partners and staff to identify and respond to diverse students’ needs while abroad
- Strategize potential partners and stakeholders with whom you can collaborate to improve the student experience while abroad
- Identify ways to engage with education abroad alumni that encourages students to reflect on their experiences abroad
- Strategize potential partners and stakeholders with whom you can collaborate to re-engage students from diverse and underrepresented backgrounds in on-campus programming
- Access to the full Diversity & Inclusive Advising e-Learning Course
- Course guide and resources
- One hour of group coaching while enrolled in the course
- Membership in the course LinkedIn Group
- Certificate of completion
Enrollment for professionals from Diversity Abroad Network member institutions is $249. For non-Members the fee is $399. Group pricing is available. Please contact us for more information: email@example.com
Upcoming Course Dates
Our next course will begin on January 8, 2018. Registration Deadline is January 5, 2018. The course must be completed by February 5, 2018.
The following course will begin on February 19, 2018. Registration Deadline is February 16, 2018. The course must be completed by March 19, 2018.
To register, click on the Enroll Today button under the correct course date. To access member pricing, you must be logged into the system. Group pricing is available for individuals registering at the same time. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
Informational Overview Video
For an overview of the course, content, and structure, you can view the recording below.
Online Course for Diversity & Inclusion Advising for Education Abroad Professionals from Diversity Abroad on Vimeo.