DIVERSITY ABROAD NAMES 2020 EXCELLENCE IN DIVERSITY & INCLUSION IN INTERNATIONAL EDUCATION (EDIIE) & GLOBAL STUDENT LEADERSHIP AWARD RECIPIENTS
SUMMARY: Diversity Abroad announces the 2020 Excellence in Diversity & Inclusion in International Education (EDIIE) awardees. The recipients have developed innovative practices, conducted original research and championed inclusive excellence, all with the aim toward preparing diverse students for academic and career success through equitable access to global education.
BERKELEY, CA—March 31, 2020 Diversity Abroad is pleased to announce the recipients of the 2020 Excellence in Diversity & Inclusion in International Education (EDIIE) and Global Student Leadership Awards. This year’s recipients have demonstrated a commitment to advancing diversity and inclusive excellence within international education on an individual, institutional, and organizational level, as well as students who represent Diversity Abroad’s mission to diversify global education.
“Through the EDIIE Awards, Diversity Abroad recognizes the institutions, organizations and individuals whose innovative work support equitable access to the benefits of global education that improve student academic success, interpersonal growth and career readiness. We congratulate the 2020 EDIIE Award recipients for their work to democratize global education and ultimately unlock the doors of opportunity for the students they serve,” says Andrew Gordon, CEO & Founder of Diversity Abroad.
This year a new individual category - the Executive Leader Award - was introduced and recognizes the leadership of an individual who has made it an institutional priority to elevate diversity, equity and inclusion in international education across campus.
The awardees and their work will be recognized during the annual Awards Gala & Dinner at the 8th Annual Diversity Abroad Conference, Amplifying Voices: Moving From Rhetoric to Systemic Change in New Orleans, LA later this fall.
ABOUT THE EXCELLENCE IN DIVERSITY & INCLUSION IN INTERNATIONAL EDUCATION (EDIIE) AWARDS
Through the Excellence in Diversity & Inclusion in International Education Awards, Diversity Abroad celebrates outstanding institutions, organizations, professionals and students. The awardees have developed innovative practices, conducted original research, and championed inclusive excellence, all with an aim toward preparing diverse and underrepresented students for success through equitable access to global education and cultural exchange opportunities. The awards are divided into Institutional/Organizational Awards, Individual Professional Awards, and Student Awards. This year’s winners are:
EDIIE INSTITUTIONAL/ORGANIZATIONAL AWARDS:
- Organizational/Institutional Champion: CAPA: The Global Education Network
- Outreach, Marketing & Recruitment: Grand Valley State University
- Student Engagement & Support: Xavier University of Louisiana
EDIIE INDIVIDUAL AWARDS:
- Executive Leader Award: Chancellor Lee Lambert, Pima Community College District
- Trailblazer (10+ years experience): Dr. Penelope Pynes, The University of North Carolina at Greensboro
- Rising Star (2-10 years experience): Neal McKinney, DePauw University
GLOBAL STUDENT LEADERSHIP AWARD:
- Graduate Student: Omar Nedzelsky, Jr., University of Texas - Rio Grande Valley
- Undergraduate Student: Jazzlyn Hatcher, University of South Alabama
RISING STAR FINALISTS:
- Kory Saunders, North Carolina State University
- Hernando Sevilla-Garcia, IES Abroad
- Darin Smith-Gaddis, CAPA: The Global Education Network
- Dr. Laura Engel, George Washington University
- Allegra Laing, Elon University
- Dr. David Wick, Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey
Full details about each recipient and student award winners are available at www.diversitynetwork.org/news/
ABOUT DIVERSITY ABROAD:
Diversity Abroad is the leading membership organization that inspires and supports educators, policy makers, industry professionals and other stakeholders in leveraging global educational programs to support the academic success, interpersonal development and career readiness of students from diverse and underrepresented backgrounds.