COVID-19 Support
Moderator(s): Arielle Gousse
Page 1 of 1
Forum Actions

Topics   Replies Author Latest Post
LGBTQI+ Student Support Upon Re-entry 0 A. Gousse General Note on behalf of members of the LGBTQI+ Task Force: Please be sure to check-in on LGBTQI+ students who have had to return home suddenly due to the COVID-19 pandemic. These students may have started to explore their identity or begun their coming out journey while abroad and may not have had the time to process their experience or have the support at home to continue on their journey. Following up with messages of support and/or helpful resources can assist LGBTQI+ students during these challenging times.
by A. Gousse
Friday, May 15, 2020
Navigating Our Way through the Coronavirus 0 D. Pitel, Pima Community College Hello colleagues, my name is Dr. Daisy Rodriguez Pitel and I serve as the MSI Taskforce Chair.  Last Friday, April 3, 2020 was the first meeting post COVID19.  Most of our conversation revolved around how we're doing, managing, coping, and restructuring our lives and ways of being.  Each person shared the mandates of government leaders, and the lack of mandates from some states, and its impact on increasing anxiety and providing guidance.  We collectively agreed on the importance of "sheltering in place" regardless of the lack of Governor and mayoral guidelines. It is frightening when leaders aren't taking the coronavirus pandemic seriously and allowing folx to believe that living as usual is safe.  We need to work collectively to "flatten the curve". One of the most important highlights of the conversation was the reminder to check in with one another.  It was also discussed that as we do our best to move forward in how we live our lives, how we adjust to this new normal of working in higher education, that we take care of our mental wellness. Attached below are suggestions provided by the National Institute of Mental Health. If you are finding creative ways to be effective during this time that you'd like to share, I implore you to do so.  A way that I've been connecting with folx and relearning ways to be effective has been participating in various webinars.  This morning I attended a session on "Dealing with Uncertainty" and the facilitator, Farah Bala, asked us to think about what we can and cannot control during this time, then she asked us to think about gratitude and list ten things/people/situations that each of us are grateful for.  The next question required deeper reflection, what on your list do you take for granted?  This exercise reminded me of how I need to be more mindful about the many blessings in my life- shelter, food, job, colleagues, friends, and family! Be well, be safe, and share your gratitude!  In solidarity!
by D. Pitel, Pima Community College
Monday, April 6, 2020
Supporting Students Through Early Return Home 0 E. Ledesma For students who have had to return home early from their Spring 2020 study abroad programs, how are institutions creating a space for them to virtually reflect and process their experiences? 
by E. Ledesma
Thursday, March 26, 2020
New DEI + COVID-19 Thread 0 A. Gordon Like everyone, we at Diversity Abroad are concerned about the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the world as whole and specifically on our team and our global community of professionals and students. In many ways we are in uncharted waters and this has caused understandable fear, anxiety, and confusion about what’s next, from a public health and economic standpoint as well as for our sector. Professionally, in the short-term there will be much uncertainty, however in the long-term we are confident that as an innovative community we will get through this crisis and emerge from it even stronger and poised to continue to leverage global education to support the success of all students.   To support ongoing dialogue on how COVID-19 is impacting diversity, equity and inclusion in international education, Diversity Abroad has created this new Community Forum thread specific to COVID-19. While access to posting questions or sharing resources is limited to Diversity Abroad members, anyone can review details of the questions and resources posted in the thread.  We look forward to staying connected and sharing insight among the Diversity Abroad community throughout these unprecedented times.
by A. Gordon
Thursday, March 26, 2020
How to Get Started? 0 A. Gousse   Select "New topic" in the gray menu bar and post a question or comment related to the session topic. Please refer to the Community Discussion Guidelines before posting:  In order to maintain a constructive and respectful space in this online setting, please review the following guidelines:   This discussion forum is for educational purposes. Shared knowledge helps us all to learn more. Please hold to a single topic for each thread. Be sure to list your topic in the message header/subject box before sending. This will aid the reader(s) in identifying the topic. Please stay on topic. We understand discussions can evolve over various topics, but in order to be the most helpful to members, when the topic steers into another subject, start a new thread in the appropriate forum topic. Before posting your question to a discussion board, check if anyone has asked it already and received a reply. Engage in dialogue. The exchange of knowledge will  be most beneficial to those who engage with their peers and dig deeper into proposed topics. Make the most of this space and engage meaningfully with fellow professionals. The Community Forums are an opportunity to engage in a collaborative space aimed at identifying and sharing best practices, and networking with professionals and students. Under no circumstances should a post or thread be used as a platform for the endorsement of a product, service, or for direct promotion of monetary self-interest. Respect the opinions of your peers. If you feel the need to disagree, do so respectfully and acknowledge the valid points in your peer’s argument. We want to engage in dialogue that promotes mutual respect and understanding. Please note, Diversity Abroad reserves the right to delete any inappropriate message or messages not in accordance with these guidelines.
by A. Gousse
Tuesday, March 24, 2020