About Diversity Abroad
Diversity Abroad’s mission is to create equitable access to the benefits of global education by empowering educators, engaging stakeholders, and connecting diverse students to resources and opportunity.
That the next generation of young people from diverse and underrepresented backgrounds are equipped with the skills, knowledge and global acumen to thrive in the 21st century interconnected world and global workforce.
To ensure diverse students have equitable access to and maximize the interpersonal, academic, and career benefits afforded through global education.
Diversity Abroad has grown into the leading organization advancing diversity and inclusive policies and practices in the field of international education and cultural exchange since its founding in 2006. This year Diversity Abroad launched a five year strategic plan that aims to move the field of international education and cultural exchange toward systemic change through the development of good practice guidelines, resources, and learning opportunities that empower professionals to advance inclusive excellence, and positions students to succeed through equitable access to global education. The strategic plan articulates priorities to connect students to opportunity, empower educators, engage new stakeholders, and build and sustain an equity-minded team.
To ensure the next generation of students--who increasingly come from diverse and traditionally underrepresented backgrounds--participate and thrive in global programs, the field of international education must transform from a field that is exclusive and serves a small, privileged population of young people to one that is inclusive and supports the success of all students. With expertise, authenticity, and in collaboration with its 280+ members, Diversity Abroad is uniquely positioned to continue to lead the field toward inclusive excellence.
Access the full plan here.
- AUTHENTICITY - Diversity, equity, and inclusion are hard work. We each have a personal connection to the work, communicate openly and honestly with one another, and foster an environment where our members can share best practices and learn from peers.
- COMMUNITY - We support and are a part of the Diversity Abroad community, an inclusive space for educators, students, and other stakeholders who have made a commitment to advance diversity, equity, and inclusion in global education.
- CURIOSITY - We are lifelong learners: never resting on what we already know! Each of us seeks new ideas, new skills, and a willingness to adapt to new perspectives and approaches.
- IMPACT-DRIVEN - We are intentional and disciplined with the activities and partnerships that we pursue to advance our mission.
- INNOVATIVE - We are passionate about our mission and have a stake in shaping the organization. Each of us, regardless of role, actively engages in dialogue, challenges current thinking, and proposes solutions that continues to push the organization forward.
- PROFESSIONALISM - We are respectful, humble, and accountable. Each of us offers expertise and knowledge and delivers high-quality content and experiences.
- AIDE Roadmap - The Access, Inclusion, Diversity, and Equity (AIDE) Roadmap is the first set of diversity & inclusive good practice guidelines for education abroad.
- Diversity Abroad Conference - The most comprehensive national forum on issues of access, diversity, equity, and inclusion in global education.
- DiversityAbroad.com - A comprehensive online resource that connects diverse students to the information and networks needed to take advantage of global education.
- MSI Global Education Summit - One of a kind event designed to enhance the institutional capacity of MSIs to integrate international education efforts into the current campus climate.
- Global Student Leadership Summit - The premier leadership conference for students from diverse backgrounds who have participated in study abroad or other international programs.
About Diversity Abroad Membership
Diversity Abroad is the leading professional consortium of educational institutions, government agencies, for-profit and non-profit organizations who share Diversity Abroad’s vision that the next generation of young people from diverse and underrepresented backgrounds are equipped with the skills, knowledge and global acumen to thrive in the 21st century interconnected world and global workforce. Together, members of the Diversity Abroad consortium work to advance policies and practices that advance access, diversity, equity and inclusion in global education and exchanges.
Trademark - Diversity Abroad
Diversity Abroad® is a registered trademark.
While we acknowledge that the term “diversity abroad” may be used in global education, the use of “Diversity Abroad” is prohibited in titles of scholarships, programming, communication campaigns, etc. without explicit permission from our organization. If you have questions about our trademark, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.