Inclusive Advising for Education Abroad Professionals
Designed with current and future education abroad practitioners in mind, this 4-week elearning course focuses on the skills and strategies needed to effectively support an increasingly diverse student population in participating in and leveraging education abroad to achieve academic success, interpersonal growth and career readiness. Using a convenient asynchronous learning model, the course covers seven essential components of an inclusive advising approach for education abroad professionals.
About the Course
The Inclusive Advising for Education Abroad Professionals elearning course provides current and future education abroad practitioners with the information and resources they need to develop an inclusive environment where all students are supported
in their international endeavors.
Each section is broken into subsections that include an introduction, examples, key strategies, developing partnerships, a quiz or scenario, and next steps and action planning. As participants complete each section, they will be asked to identify
key takeaways and action items that they can implement in their day-to-day duties.
What You Will Gain
Those who complete the course will gain:
- A foundational understanding of diversity, equity, and inclusion in global education;
- An understanding of how inclusive best practices in advising can be integrated throughout the spectrum of the education abroad process from outreach, marketing, & recruitment, pre-departure, in-country, and upon return.
- An increased awareness of biases that may influence interactions with different student populations;
- A toolbox of resources and information applicable to education abroad outreach, advising, and support;
- A customizable action plan developed throughout the course.
Who Should Enroll
The principles discussed in the course will benefit learners from any industry, however the course was developed primarily to support current and rising education abroad professionals who are:
- Interested in a fostering inclusion and belonging throughout the education abroad experience;
- New professionals to field of education abroad;
- Graduate students or other professionals interested in entering the field of education abroad;
- Interested in developing or deepening understanding of diversity, equity, and inclusion in education abroad.
The 4-week elearning course utilizes an asynchronous learning model, allowing participants to access course material at their convenience. The course content -- consisting of 6 core modules -- is made available on a “dripped” weekly schedule, with 1-2
modules released each week of the program. Content includes instructional videos, articles, quizzes, scenarios, and other activities designed to promote applied learning.
- Understand why diversity, equity and inclusion matter in higher education
- Understand the history of diversity, equity and inclusion in global education.
- Understand the importance of a holistic approach to diversity, equity and inclusion efforts in education abroad
- Better understand the terms and definitions used when discussing issues of diversity and inclusion
- Identify culturally sensitive methods for developing and implementing outreach efforts that include diverse and underrepresented students
- Identify strategies for reaching diverse and underrepresented student populations
- Strategize potential partners and stakeholders with whom you can collaborate to enhance your outreach strategy for diverse and underrepresented groups
- Identify ways to build trust with students from all backgrounds, especially with those from diverse and underrepresented backgrounds
- Understand how personal bias may influence advising
- Strategize potential partners and stakeholders with whom you can collaborate to improve advising strategies in your office/organization
- Understand how bias may be present in the application process to education abroad opportunities
- Identify ways to enhance pre-departure materials, resources, and events that include a wider range of student experiences and interests
- Strategize potential partners and stakeholders with whom you can collaborate to develop inclusive applications and pre-departure programming
- Develop an understanding for different scenarios that students from diverse and underrepresented backgrounds may encounter in an international setting
- Develop strategies for working with on-the-ground partners and staff to identify and respond to diverse students’ needs while abroad
- Strategize potential partners and stakeholders with whom you can collaborate to improve the student experience while abroad
- Identify ways to engage with education abroad alumni that encourages students to reflect on their experiences abroad
- Strategize potential partners and stakeholders with whom you can collaborate to re-engage students from diverse and underrepresented backgrounds in on-campus programming
- Full-time Graduate Students: $249
- Member: $399
- Non-Member: $499
- Group discounts available! Contact us at email@example.com for details.
Course Dates & Registration
- June 29 - August 3 | (deadline June 26)
- July 27 - August 24 | Register Now (deadline July 24)
- September 7 - October 5 | Register Now (deadline Sept 4)
- October 19 - November 16 | Register Now (deadline October 16)